#AskAnExpert – Foot Health Pt. 1
Thank you for tuning into the first episode of our Facebook Live series, #AskAnExpert! This episode featured Dr. Michael Ryan, who answered many inquiries about foot health from our viewers.
We have collected resources to provide more information about the topics discussed in the show. If Dr. Ryan wasn’t able to answer your question this time around, hang tight! We’ll be announcing the date for another installment of #AskAnExpert on social media shortly. If you have any other concerns about foot health, a pedorthist at any of our Kintec locations would also be happy to help.
The plantar fascia is the thick tissue that connects the heel bone to the toes creating the arch on the bottom of the foot. When strained, it gets weak, swollen, and irritated, and this inflammation is known as plantar fasciitis.
- Plantar Fasciitis: Symptoms and Solutions
- Tips for Treating Plantar Fasciitis
- A Busy Person’s Guide To Plantar Fasciitis
- Your Plantar Fasciitis Tool Kit
A bunion is a significant growth where the big toe joint is, and a bunionette is on the fifth toe joint. Tight-fitting footwear like high-heels and narrow-toed shoes can often increase the risk of bunion formation. Excessive pronating or rolling inwards of the ankles may also be factors causing these growths.
Circulation is affected by the unstable blood sugar levels, which affects the healing in the feet. Nerve damage can occur, which affects the individual’s ability to know when there is an injury on the feet. This contributes to the neglect injuries on the skin surface, and can lead to ulcers.
Essentially, stress fractures are cracks or breaks in the bone. Persistent pain may require x-ray/bone scan to rule out a stress fracture.
- 5 Most Common Running Injuries
- Understanding Metatarsalgia
- Floatation Belt For Stress Fracture Deep Water Running
- Deep Water Running
- AlterG Treadmill
Our experienced specialists can assess your feet and walking style to help develop an orthotic that will reduce strain to the feet and legs.
- Difference between OTC Insoles and Custom Orthotics
- Low Back Pain and Orthotics
- The Top 3 Signs You Might Need Orthotics
- 5 Ways Orthotics Improve Running Performance
Choosing The Right Footwear
Choosing the right footwear means considering activity, age, and other important factors to make a wise purchase.
- How to Choose Running Shoes
- How to Choose Supportive Home Footwear
- Choosing The Right Shoes For Your Kids!
- Minimalist Footwear
Compression products help provide relief for tired, achy legs and to treat more serious conditions such as chronic venous insufficiency, deep vein thrombosis, and blood clots.
Many sports involve intensive movement, and often it leaves our legs and feet vulnerable to injury.
- Common Soccer Injuries
- 5 Common Hockey Injuries
- Running Injuries Prevention
- Treatment Options for Common Knee Injuries
Other Valuable Resources About Foot Health
- Watch our videos of exercises and stretchs that will help ease pain and discomfort.
- Sever’s Disease
- Pedorthic Association of Canada
- Questions and Answers about Growth Plate Injuries
- Plantar Fasciitis and Free PSM
- PT vs Steroid – Sport Medicine
- Simplified Low Dye Taping Technique
For more information, visit the Foot Health section of our blog.